Monday, January 9, 2012

Week #2

Speaker's Edge is rolling along. It has been great to not only see my progress, but the progress of classmates as well. It's pretty neat to have heard their first drafts last Monday and then now to hear their speeches and how polished and smooth they are becoming.

Today were were given the benefit on having professional help. We were in groups of 4 and were able to give our speeches and get very good and precise feedback from these learned professionals. It was extremely helpful to give a speech--get feedback, go to the next professional and do it again. That repetition was very valuable for me and the members of my group.

My current problem is having too much information for my speeches and thus talking to fast during my speeches. I feel rushed to get the information out, but that's my normal tone anyway--I'm trying to be energetic and enthusiastic about my topic--all the while slowing down enough to allow my audience a chance to take what I'm telling them all in.

We also got a start on how to approach our ethical dilemmas. I know many students have been apprehensive about this, but with Jackson Hataway's guidance it seems more manageable. The term "ethical dilemma" seems so broad and expansive--and to only be given 30 minutes to research AND memorize/learn a speech can be intimidating, but after today I feel a bit better about tackling this change.

Overall, I feel good about the progress we all have made. The key is to continue to fine tune, fine tune, fine tune. Just keep getting better each day, then hopefully be the time the tournament starts on Thursday--we'll be ready!

Looking forward to hearing great things!

No comments:

Post a Comment